Friday, December 4, 2009

If you know me, you know that I'm not one to hold back on my opinion.
I just watched a trailer on the new movie "8: A Mormon Proposition"
I was..um you could say, angry, at least.
The whole movie pretty much is about how Mormons are evil.
You know, I don't have anything against homosexuals, I believe that they deserve the same rights as any straight couple but I do believe that marriage is between a man and woman.
The thing that makes me the most angry is that throughout this preview there were signs that said "Stop the Hate." That's a little hypocritical don'tcha think? You are proclaiming that you're against hate, but that's exactly what you're doing. Hating an entire religion.
They're standing up for what they believe in, and so is the church.
If I do remember correctly, just recently the LDS Church endorsed a bill in Salt Lake that stated that all couples (no matter their sexual orientation) deserve the same rights as anyone else.
I guess I just don't understand. Call me young and stupid, tell me I'm sheltered, but I really don't know how you can attack one religion. The Catholic Church supported prop 8 also, but you don't see anyone attacking them.
Boggling.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't see the trailer and I don't know anything about the movie, but I think at the end of the day the very things the church preaches - Christ-like love, humility, friendship, tolerance (I don't like that word, but I think it applies) - is the very essence of the problem with prop 8 and the church (as well as the fact that it threw a ton of money behind it). NONE of those attributes were shown by it's members who were the most passionate and vocal on the matter. Many members were, among other things, angry, intolerant, felt threatened and were/are driven by fear. It's ok to be passionate about your beliefs, but it's unacceptable when it turns into hate - and it was very hateful on both sides. Furthermore, the church shouldn't have to "endorse" a matter of the state for a measure to pass. It has no place in a secular court.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separation of church and state has been the goal from the beginning sissy. We've yet to accomplish it. It's sad. But true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The LDS church backed the ordinances that someone can not be fired from their job or be evicted from their residence if they are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender. It's sad to think that this was actually legal in Utah before this passed. I do agree with you that there is a lot of hate on both sides, but it seems like either side does not care to listen the other. I personally enjoy hearing the opinions of both sides of the proposition. I think each make valid points. However, whenever I hear someone speak of marriage between two people as beautiful as this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lNeE4QEVSw) -Portia on the View- I want equal rights for everyone.

    2010 will be an interesting year.

    p.s. are you getting a PUPPY!?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kal, I LOVED that Youtube video! Portia is such a beautiful and incredibly well-spoken women that I challenge anyone to say what she said was wrong or immoral. This is a very interesting topic, and I can see both sides of the fence. But Portia really brought it home for me in her argument about how this issue should have nothing to do with religion, but simply about civil rights and the equality of American citizans. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete