Friday, March 26, 2010

happy birthday john

John turned 23 this last Wednesday, and he didn't want to do anything.
I offered for us to go out, and he said no.
Just dinner? No.
Can I make you dinner? Okay.
So I asked him Tuesday what I could make him, he said meat. So when we got home from work I said do you want me to do like steak and potatoes? (Steak is his favorite meat, I figured it was the obvious choice). He said he didn't want steak and that he couldn't decide at the moment because no food sounded good.
...Okay?
Wednesday (his birthday)at about 4:30 I get a text message, telling me what he would like me to make him for his dinner.
What did he ask for?

Corn dogs and potato chips.
I married a five year old.
If that isn't enough evidence for you, listen to this.
John's mother asked him what kind of birthday cake he would like for dinner last Sunday; he asked for a Batman cake. It was already Saturday afternoon so I didn't expect that she'd be able to get one, and I ended up being right, she couldn't. But she bought a Batman action figure and put it on the cake.
Batman. For a 23 year old.
THEN. John tells me he wants to have a birthday party.
He wants a have a BATMAN birthday party.
Where everyone dresses up as a Batman character, but he's the only one allowed to dress up as Batman.
And then we'll all go to Nickelcade.

Do you see what I have to deal with?

Anyway, I figured I could handle cooking corn dogs, and I even bought chocolate to dip strawberries (more for myself, but whatev.)
So I turn on the oven to cook the corndogs, because you know, they're only good when they're crunchy and when you put them in the microwave they get soggy. Thank you J.
So the oven is on, and I'm in the kitchen cleaning strawberries, and getting ready to cook asparagus (I needed something slightly healthy for myself) and I started to smell smoke and burning. I turned around and there was smoke coming from the oven door and also up and through the burners.
I opened the oven door and there were FLAMES everywhere. John was raised that when there is left over pizza, you put the boxes in the oven...I have NEVER done this in my life, so I didn't even think to check. Sure enough, there were three pizza boxes in the oven, and they were all on fire.
I freaked.
I had no idea what to do. We don't have a fire extinguisher, and even if we did I don't know that I would know how to use it.
Luckily John was next door, so when I called in a panic he rushed right over.
I felt like the biggest idiot ever. The one time I try to cook, I start a fire.
I am not meant to be domestic.

Good thing my husband is awesome and didn't even make fun of me, because I would have cried my eyes out.
And good thing I got him awesome presents.
First, I bought him a scale 18 Dale Earnhardt model car.
If you know John, you know his love for Dale and NASCAR. The first race he ever watched was the race that Dale was killed, and he just loves the legend.
Because Dale no longer races with NASCAR, they have discontinued the making of the car. Therefore, it was impossible to find. But I did it! And he loved it! I was so glad.
But, this was the bigger present..and he loves this more.


This is his "new" car. It is a 1975 Toyoto Land Cruiser. AKA FJ 40.
We bought it from a seventeen year old kid who has completely rebuilt the engine, and done all this other stuff to it (the engine is the only part I remember.)

I love the stripes, and you can't see it very well but there is a bull on the side of it. He hates it, and wants to paint over it, but I'm not letting him, he's vintage.
It kind of scares me to drive in it, but it will get better I'm sure. Can't wait for the summer and drop top. MmmmMmm good.

Which brings me to my next point.
We have a great car for sale.
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Black with Tan/Gray interior.
No problems at all, but with John getting the FJ, we don't find it necessary to have two SUVs. Therefore, I need to sell the Jeep so I can get this cute little thing.

2006 Honda Accord.
After driving it, I was in love.
We won't be purchasing the rack, seeing as we don't need it for anything, but I'm so excited for it.
What can I say? I'm just a small car girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment